Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Rylee Talk

Last year I wrote a "birthday post" for my little girl. I wanted to continue this tradition so I wouldn't forget all the fun/funny things about her. I'm a month late, but here goes...


Buckle Buckle who's got the Buckle
Rylee has a slight obsession with buckles. Anything that snaps -- she's on it. She now spots the shopping carts with the extra safety buckles in them, the gigantic ones that can fit two kids up front, before you even get to the actually cart. Yes, we've been known to cruise around CityMarket in this beast, just because it avoids tantrums and keeps Miss Two busy buckling each seat. I love the looks I get when I back into a nicely stacked speciality item placed in the middle of the canned goods isle. Anywho, there's nothing more rewarding for Rylee then getting a really hard buckle to snap tight. New mothers beware...the minute you put your car-seat down, it's like a little robot takes over my daughter and it takes everything in me to hold her back. This buckle obsession has lead to a recent seat belt obsession....

Two seconds after I close my car door
Rylee: "Seeebell Mom!"
Me: "Okay Ry, one sec"
Rylee: "Mom, Seeebell..now!"
Me: "Alright, there ya go"
Rylee: "Welcome"
....this conversation happens every time we get in the car. The girl is like a hawk!

The Towel
A few months ago, Rylee got really sick with the flu. The poor girl threw up for a week straight! It was horrible. Problem is, it scared her to throw up in a big bowl, trash can, or toilet. And since we pretty much would have bought the kid a pony if she wanted it that week, we let her throw up in an old towel. Now, every time Brock or I start to cough or choke on something, she panics, and runs to get us a towel. It makes us laugh every time. This definitely is a part of her sassy personality that not a lot of people see -- so sensitive and kind-hearted!

Mommy's Glasses
Rylee use to sleep-in like a champ! I'm talking 9 o'clock in the AM. However, since we moved her into a big girl bed, things have changed. She still sleeps great...but just not as long. Now she's up 'n at 'em around 7am. I realize this is normal for kids and I shouldn't complain. Problem is, I'm a night owl (insomniac) and started sleeping in with her. I've been known to wake up and hear her playing in her room, singing songs to her babies, and occasionally, up in my face saying, "Mommy up". Last week -- I woke up and heard her in the living room. I went to grab my glasses from my night stand and they were gone. I'm blind as a bat; and quickly stumbled into the bathroom to put my contacts in. I then searched the house high and low repetitively asking Ry if she had, "seen mommy's glasses". Finally, I found them in her stuffed-animal pile, where they had been nicely placed on Mr. Elephant's head. Made me laugh, and motivated me to get my butt out of bed earlier!!!

Talk Nice!
Last week we were in Target shopping and I stopped to look at something. Rylee was sitting in the cart watching two other kids nearby. They were obviously brother and sister and were arguing over something. Rylee looked so concerned and after a few minutes of watching this said loudly, "Kids, talky nice or time-out ummmk!" Their mom and I busted up laughing.

Poop in Potty
We are in the midst of potty-training (SIGH!). I kindof go overboard and make a huge deal when she goes in the toilet, as I'm sure most moms do. The problem is, I didn't realize how crazy I sounded until I had it repeated back to me in our church bathroom stall...

Rylee: (clapping her hands and talking like a baby) "Yeah Mommy!! You poop in potty!" (BTW - I DIDN'T, it was just #1 -- sorry to much info...maybe?!?)
Girl in stall next to ours: (laughing.out.loud!)

Thanks Ry! I'll get you back by showing this to your future boyfriends....


Silk & Softs
Since Rylee was itty bitty she has loved the feel of soft and silky things. We have a silky blanket that we carry with us everywhere and she calls it her "soft" (said with a lisp). I'm not sure if sleep would happen without it. This spring my mom came to visit us and while we were in a store shopping, Rylee found some silky underwear and quickly disappeared into the middle of the clothes rack with it. My mom still laughs about that.

Thanks for spicing up my life Rylee. Love you.

8 comments:

Annie said...

Ok, I was laughing at that whole post! So funny! I can just hear her saying all those things with her cute lisp! I just love that girl! GREAT PICTURES too, she looks so old! She's growing up fast!

Anonymous said...

I love the glasses on the elephant! What a cutie she is! Thanks for sharing fun memories. The little butt picture, did you pose her for that?

Courtney Curt said...

That is great! Love the stories! LOVE LOVE the pict at the top of her. So sweet.

Whitney said...

She is absolutely adorable!!! The whole poop story is hilarious! Your such a cute mom Steph and I think its a great tradition to do a post like this every year....

Ashlee said...

Cute post, I love ones like this because you get to hear all of the funny things kids do that you would otherwise forget.

Jacquelyn said...

Steph, Rylee is sooo funny. My favorite was the "poop in potty" one. I was dying. She is such a cute little girl. The picture of her is AMAZING! excited to see you tues.

Buck and Julie said...

Steph...that was hilarious!! Loved it! Rylee is the cutest!

Erin Jones said...

Steph, those pics are amazing! I LOVE the blackmail photo ;)
This is a great post, it made me smile!
Good job on the potty, mommy!